Hospice Care is provided by an interdisciplinary team of professionals and volunteers who are specially trained to address the needs of individuals living with advanced illness and their families. To assure the best possible care, the individual clinical teams meet daily in their offices and the entire interdisciplinary team (see below) meets every 14 days.
The team consists of:
- Physicians - your primary care physician and the hospice Medical Director work with the team to ensure that medical needs are met.
- Nurses - hospice nurses visit regularly to listen, assess and teach. They often act as the "eyes and ears" for the physicians - decreasing the need for undesired trips to doctors. They bring a wealth of professional and practical experience that can be useful in finding solutions to problems and ideas for better quality of life.
- Social Workers - the hospice social worker visits and calls to listen, assess and teach. Their expertise and experience is enormously helpful to individuals and families coping with the many social, emotional and financial issues related to advanced illness and its interaction with life in general.
- Chaplain - the hospice chaplain visits and calls to listen, comfort and provide counsel when needed. The chaplain works with individuals and families who have a religious connection, identify themselves as spiritual persons or who have no considered religious connection.
- Hospice Aides provide personal care, assistance with activities and meals, and other care activities to supplement what families and caregivers are able to provide.
- Care Volunteers - care volunteers are fully trained community members who generously give their time and energy to serve hospice patients and their loved ones in a variety of ways. They may include companioning, reading, talking, respite coverage for families and a variety of other tasks depending on the need.
- Others -when appropriate, additional professional and volunteer members may be involved. These might include a physical therapist, if their work could improve quality of life, a pet therapy visit from a loving therapy dog or a visit from our Chrysalis Singers.